Note: In our solar system, the Sun is the central point around which the planets orbit. From the Earth perspective, we cannot survive without sunlight; it is the light that nourishes our bodies, and the spotlight under which we act out our entire lives. Given the Sun’s importance, we’ve learned to articulate time around its trends. The Spring Equinox, Summer Solstice, Fall Equinox, and Winter Solstice all relate back to the felt shifts of shining brilliance the Sun shares with us in this lonely universe. And so it is from Earth’s perspective that I write these astrological forecasts in time with the Sun’s journey through the tropical zodiac.
Capricorn is the cardinal earth sign of the zodiac, ruled by Saturn. The Sun’s entrance into this cool nocturnal sign draws out the determination and patience of the goat, for better or worse. On one hand, the ability to steadily and slowly make gains in any project is extremely useful for long-term growth. On the other hand, the ability to identify potential pitfalls can hold us back so much so that we find ourselves in a rut. The key to not getting stuck in the Capricorn paralysis, is to review how far you’ve come and how much closer you are to success; knowing that true maturation and wisdom is gained through methodical practice and perseverance. Appropriately, the calendar year is refreshed during this Saturnian season, giving us a good reason to measure how far we’ve come and to make the effort to continue climbing towards wherever our goals lie.
Curiously, during this particular season, we are met with an energetic warp. The nodes of the moon have fallen into Capricorn and Cancer, forcing us to pay special attention to the axis of responsibility. Cancer represents responsibility of origins – to take care of home and inner beginnings. Capricorn represents responsibility to society – to make meaningful contributions and to achieve greater heights. The north node of the moon moves through Cancer, suggesting that we need to take better care of our inner lives, to reclaim nourishment and gentleness. The south node of the moon moves through Capricorn, suggesting that we need to release ourselves from harsh societal judgments, to let go of superficial achievement for something more meaningful. As these two sensitive points are activated with the partial Solar Eclipse in Capricorn on January 5th, we begin to see what needs release as we move into the new year.
Find your rising sign below, and discover what area of life needs release. Then continue to scroll down to the Timeline portion and learn what dates and times will be activated as the Sun traverses through the zodiacal sign Capricorn.
ARIES – 10th house topics, to include:
- Social reputation
- Career status
- Goals that no longer serve you
- Picture perfect achievements
- Control issues
TAURUS – 9th house topics, to include:
- Outdated belief systems
- Philosophical superiority complex
- Idealized mentors
- Knowledge as a form of Power
GEMINI – 8th house topics, to include:
- Other people’s baggage
- What others think of you
- Reliance on others
CANCER – 7th house topics, to include:
- Unhealthy relationships
- Focusing too much on others
- Fitting in
- Intimacy/trust issues
LEO – 6th house topics, to include:
- Unhealthy patterns
- Ignoring physical issues
VIRGO – 5th house topics, to include:
- Creative blocks
- Overly structured creativity
- Fear of criticism
- Hiding your passionate nature
LIBRA – 4th house topics, to include:
- Expectations of home
- Hiding in a cocoon
- The way things have been
- Parent’s approval
SCORPIO – 3rd house topics, to include:
- The best way to do something
- Needing answers
- Fear-based conversations
SAGITTARIUS – 2nd house topics, to include:
- Money habits
- Doing things your way
CAPRICORN – 1st house topics, to include:
- Health matters
- Vulnerability issues
- Low self-esteem
- Navel gazing (excess self-awareness)
AQUARIUS – 12th house topics, to include:
- Personal demons
- Unhealthy thought patterns
- Escapist tendencies
- Analysis paralysis
PISCES – 11th house topics, to include:
- Blending in
- Fitting into social constructs
- Hiding behind group think
Use the timeline below to map out Capricorn season, from Dec 21st to Jan 20th. All times are listed in Eastern Time.
December 21st at 5:22 PM, the Sun enters Capricorn
- Less than 24 hours after the Sun’s entrance in Capricorn, a full moon becomes exact in Cancer on December 22nd at 12:48 PM. When the moon is full, illuminated and bright, everything that has been built up since the corresponding new moon becomes visible. This can coincide with meaningful climactic events, large gatherings of people, and/or the final word on how a project is unfolding.
- This particular full moon has a distinct introversion to it. In Cancer, the full moon delights in coziness, close familiar relationships, and tradition. It can awaken a cuddly and sensitive nurture nature in us. In stark contrast, Saturn and Pluto in Capricorn bring heaviness and duty into this full moon’s nurturing environment as these two planets are met by the moon’s opposition on December 23rd. The opposition can cause us to feel ultra protective of our ooey-gooey insides, not wanting our sensitive sides to get hurt by the harsh realities that may exist around us.
- I’d use this full moon to indulge in the creature comfort of home, blankets, and whatever else makes you feel safe. As the moon approaches it’s oppositions with Saturn and Pluto, try not to get bogged down with fear or pressure to perform – instead lean into gratitude for the supportive structures in your life and for your own ability to self-care.
December 24th at 7:34 PM, Mercury in Sagittarius squares Neptune in Pisces.
- A month earlier on November 16th, Mercury and Neptune went through this same square as Mercury was stationing retrograde. On this day in December, there is a fogginess that may come over us that is reminiscent of what occurred during the earlier square. It is possible that there is a resolution, an apology, or a sudden sense of insight into whatever went down during Mercury’s retrograde (maybe you finally find the perfect holiday gift during your last minute shopping). It is also possible that you spend the day in a drift, hopefully not doing any analytical work because it won’t be the day for such tedious things.
December 28th at 4:31 PM, Venus in Scorpio sextiles Pluto in Capricorn
- There is something very dark about this aspect. It could be the fact that Scorpio and Capricorn are both nocturnal signs – they tend to be introspective, sensitive, and defensive. It could also be Pluto’s involvement since it is a planet related to the underworld, the darkness of the soul, and the stuff that scares us. Whatever it is, Venus leads the way into the dark, shining brightly so that we can become aware of the shadows.
- This is a day where we’ll want to get deep with loved ones, to connect on a soul level. If you are lucky enough to be around people you trust and cherish, this might be a lovely day to strengthen those relationships with real-talk, vulnerability and openness. Shining the light on our dark parts so that we can grow together with others.
December 29th at 4:34 AM, the Last Quarter Moon is exact in Libra.
- The last quarter phase of the moon cycle, relates to the shedding process. We begin to let go of the energy, the details, the processes that are no longer necessary. It can be painful to lose what was once so helpful to us, causing a sense of crisis or excess anxiety. In other ways, this is a good kick in the pants to open ourselves to what lies ahead, to ready ourselves for the next project on the horizon.
- In Libra, this last quarter moon reminds us to let go of relationships that do not serve, and to open our hearts and minds for new ways of approaching social engagement. We do not always need to be there for everyone else; we need to take care of ourselves. Likewise, we need a social life to feel connected with our people, so that we aren’t isolated and lost in the echo chamber of our own minds. On this day, take some time to see where you lie on this spectrum of relational energy. The moon will help illuminate the answer.
December 31st at 9:19 PM, Mars enters Aries.
- Mars’ ingress into it’s home sign of Aries is very exciting! As many of you will recall, Mars spent the majority of 2018 in Saturn-ruled signs, digging into the hard work of goal-setting and goal-achieving. Many of us experienced stress, overwhelm, fatigue, bursts of unmanageable energy, and a lot of impatience. Sometimes we experienced these chaotic shifts in a single day. So it is very welcome news that Mars is in a sign which strengthens it, helping us all to express our drives with a little bit more power.
- Of course, throughout Mars’ time in Aries, it will make harsh aspects to Saturn, Pluto, and the nodal axis. This pattern will be reminiscent of Mars’ retrograde as well as it’s impact on the mid-year eclipses of 2018, bringing up any long-term challenges that may have been developing since April 2018. On December 31st, we’ll get our first taste of these potential challenges, so keep an eye out.
January 2nd at 00:49 AM, the Sun conjoins Saturn in Capricorn.
- Sun-Saturn conjunctions are generally exhausting since sobering Saturn will cool and limit the Sun’s life-giving nature. This year, with the south node in Capricorn, exhaustion may exaggerate into depressive states or pessimistic decision making. We may feel obligated by our current standards of work and living without realizing that there is a better way of managing our time. We may not recognize that we have the option of prioritizing ourselves first. If you are in situation where you have to make an important decision, I would hold off until the gloominess wears away.
January 4th at 00:12 AM, Mercury in Sagittarius trines Uranus in Aries.
- Mercury-Uranus contacts can enliven our minds, creating electricity in our thoughts. In some ways this can speak to divine connection, getting closer to answers, finding meaning in the patterns around us. In other ways, this can activate indecision-impulse.
- Have you ever been in a situation where there were so many options that you became overwhelmed at making a decision? Sometimes this leads to analysis paralysis, but other times this leads to impulsively deciding – leaping without looking. Mercury’s trine to Uranus will elevate the desire to leap without looking. This can be a little frightening after the fact; you might look back and question your impulsivity.
- Later the same day, at 10:39 PM, Mercury enters Capricorn. After the high of fiery Aries and Sagittarius, Mercury’s entrance into Capricorn is a sobering landing. If you’ve made the wrong decision (if there was a decision to make), you will know very shortly afterwards. If, however, you are moving through a day of routine, you may notice a distinct shift from the optimistic carefree Sag mentality towards the ultra-real practical Cap mentality.
- Mercury in Capricorn is a planner who is always considering potential for error, and identifying the best course of action. Mental processes get quite serious here, causing us to lean towards a more pessimistic perspective. We may find that it is difficult to really let loose and relax our minds. Mercury is also moving at a pretty quick pace, drawing us towards future-oriented goal making. It can be difficult to pause the mind long enough to get any rest.
January 5th at 8:28 PM, a Partial Solar Eclipse in Capricorn is exact.
- In the day following the partial solar eclipse, the moon will conjoin Pluto and square a newly direct Uranus. This is a pretty energetic solar eclipse, and will mark the beginning of eclipse season for the first half of 2019. Let’s break this down:
- A partial solar eclipse in Capricorn marks the beginning of a major renovation in our Capricorn area of life. Think: responsibilities, reality structures, traditions, conservative systems. What structures are outdated and making us prone to failure? What conservative systems are no longer providing true conservation? What traditions are holding us back from improved operations?
- The moon’s conjunction to Pluto in Capricorn, emphasizes a strong desire to hold onto our old outmoded ways as a result of fear and uncertainty. Pluto brings a strong power-energetic to the table – it can make us blind with desire, but it can also open us to new states of empowerment. The key to accessing Pluto’s empowerment is to willingly accept that we don’t have control over life. By holding onto security blankets we actually lose even more control. The best we can do is ride the waves of change, to open ourselves to better ways of living. This can be a small shift to start. At the time of the solar eclipse, we may feel tension around the area of life that Capricorn is highlighting (see the overview section for more details), but it is best to let go of trying so hard – to give yourself the opportunity to relax.
- When Uranus stations direct in Aries on January 6th at 3:26 PM, there will be a notable activation of our Capricorn control natures. If you didn’t see yourself as needing control, you might rethink it once this station occurs. Uranus in Aries draws out lightning bolt changes towards self-improvement and self-awareness. During it’s station direct, built-up energy is released and channelled through the moon in Capricorn’s square to Uranus. This activates a jolt of change or a shift in the Capricorn area of life, calling attention to any outdated behavior patterns that might arise in a moment of panic. You may find that you behave in ways you dislike. ( And that is ok.) This is only the beginning of the eclipse cycle through Capricorn-Cancer – you have some time to begin working on yourself, letting go of patterns that no longer serve, and opening yourself to shifts in perspective. Start by releasing your grip on control.
January 7th at 6:17 AM, Venus enters Sagittarius.
- Venus in Sagittarius enjoys a good adventure, trying new flavors, exploring new places, and inviting everyone along for the journey. The light-bearer’s entrance into jovial Sagittarius will buoy spirits that may have fallen as a result of heavy Capricorn energy.
- Find ways to release tension in your life by trying new foods, new styles of clothing, and introducing yourself to new people. You may be pleasantly surprised by how much fun you have by simply letting go.
January 8th at 5:04 AM, Mercury in Capricorn squares Mars in Aries.
- There is some hot-headedness that can come through this aspect. Mercury in Capricorn is super serious, and wants to ensure that plans unfold the way they should. Mars in Aries is more excitable and packs a good punch – Mars wants to get it done as fast as possible. In a square pattern, these two have a hard time knowing whether to be patient or go for it. Choosing to think before you act is probably the safest option, but sometimes we just have to follow our impulses. Either way forward will become distorted with the background energy of the eclipses.
January 11th at 6:38 AM, the Sun conjoins Pluto in Capricorn.
- Sun-Pluto conjunctions can bring fear to excessive shows of self. There may be concerns around standing out or being perceived as different from the masses. As we are moving through eclipse season, this will also highlight serious fears we hold around the areas of life related to the Capricorn-Cancer axis.
January 13th at 8:31 AM, Mercury conjoins Saturn in Capricorn
- There is a pause in thinking; mental capacities slow. It seems that everything said has extra weightiness to it. This could also highlight a moment of important messages coming through from supervisors or higher-ups. The news may not be positive, but at least you will become aware of it.
- Because this is co-present with the south node, words and thoughts lean towards a depressive letting-go vibration. This might be a good time to sign contracts for renovations, destruction, and other forms of removal-of-excess.
On the same day, Jupiter in Sagittarius squares Neptune in Pisces at 1:58 PM
- This is the first of a longer-term series of squares between Jupiter and Neptune. In the classic Neptunian way, it is hard to really know how Neptune will respond to Jupiter’s square. The lengthy transit of Neptune through Pisces is still a bit of a fog even though it is almost half-way through the sign. That said, we can expect to be dealing with the following themes: Religion, Belief systems, Dreams, Ideals, Hopes, Escapism, Illusions.
- It is also notable that this first square occurs during eclipse season – a time when there is an inherent sense of unknown at play. Perhaps this Jupiterian-Neptunian energy will bring optimism and connection to the universal nature during a time that is otherwise energetically mysterious and difficult.
January 14th at 1:45 AM, the First Quarter Moon is exact in Aries.
- The first quarter moon awakens us to a sense of how far we’ve come since intentions were set at the new moon. However, this first quarter moon falls in the warped energy of the eclipse pattern. Awareness may come through in the form of deja vu, a sense of connection to the distant past, and an opening to ideas of a better future. In Aries, we may experience these energetics through single-person activities, active motion, yoga, and defensive behavior.
On the same day, Mercury sextiles Neptune at 8:13 AM.
- Mercury-Neptune is cause for confusion, but in a positive aspect, we have the capacity to engage with intuition and imagination. It is also possible that we gain awareness around self-care strategies as we learn how manage the tense eclipse energy. Otherwise, this is a good time for drifting and lucid dreaming.
January 18th, Venus in Sagittarius trines Mars in Aries at 11:49 AM, Mercury conjoins Pluto in Capricorn at 3:03 PM, and the Sun in Capricorn squares Uranus in Aries at 8:30 PM.
- Collectively, this is an active day with a lot of felt energy.
- Venus and Mars inspire us to play and explore, to seek out activity, and to make social connections. Mercury and Pluto make us aware of the deeper underlying issues in our current behavioral patterns. The Sun and Uranus ask us to find better ways of self expression.
- All together, there is a strong expressive bent – we want to really truly be seen and heard, we want to be around others, and we want to understand how our process of thinking is connected to the world around us. Do we hold any impact in the world? If so, what are we going to share with world? Are we going to make it a better place or a worse one?
- This series of aspects are the last set before the Sun enters Aquarius and the Total Lunar Eclipse in Leo. As a result, the themes that develop on January 18th will play a larger role in the grand finale of the Aquarius-Leo eclipse pattern.