Note: In our solar system, the Sun is the central point around which the planets orbit. From the Earth perspective, we cannot survive without sunlight; it is the light that nourishes our bodies, and the spotlight under which we act out our entire lives. Given the Sun’s importance, we’ve learned to articulate time around its trends. The Spring Equinox, Summer Solstice, Fall Equinox, and Winter Solstice all relate back to the felt shifts of shining brilliance the Sun shares with us in this lonely universe. And so it is from Earth’s perspective that I write these astrological forecasts in time with the Sun’s journey through the tropical zodiac.
Sagittarius is a sign of expansion and higher consciousness. Ruled by Jupiter, this mutable fire sign has a tendency to spread across all mind potentials, considering all routes equal in the bigger picture. There are many ways to the same answer, and Sagittarius has a natural knack for opening us to see the truth in each way. As a result, there is an innate joy-in-the-adventure quality that comes through those of us with strong Sagittarius in our charts.
This year, Sagittarius season is marked with a special kind of joy as Jupiter has recently entered the centaur’s sign. Jupiter in Sag doubles down on optimism, vibrancy, and good spirit that comes through adventure and mind-expansion. This season is your opportunity to open your crown and third eye chakras, to access the higher guidance that supports you, and to re-awaken your trust in the universe.
There is always potential for distortion of these opportunities: to abuse our abilities to connect to a higher consciousness and completely lose our sense of grounding – to bloat our egos with a sense of entitlement and all-knowing. With Mercury’s retrograde through Sagittarius, we are called to spend extra time working with the potentialities of Sagittarian influence in our lives. Knowing this, take extra care and pay special attention to where Sagittarius shows up for you.
Find your rising sign below, and discover what topics will become activated for you this Sagittarius season. Then continue to scroll down to the Timeline portion and learn what dates and times will be activated as the Sun traverses through the zodiacal sign Sagittarius.
- ARIES – 9th house topics, to include: long-term study, occultism, mystery tradition, magic, adventure, foreign travel, publishing
- TAURUS – 8th house topics, to include: shared resources, loans, psychology, understanding others, value-work in relationships, help from others
- GEMINI – 7th house topics, to include: long-term relationships, close partnerships or friendships, deep conversations, heart-to-hearts
- CANCER – 6th house topics, to include: self-care, preventative health, ritual work, daily chores, organizational development, traveling for work
- LEO – 5th house topics, to include: fun, hobbies, the arts, flirting, passion, romance, children
- VIRGO – 4th house topics, to include: home, family, lineage, heritage, heirlooms, hometown, home base
- LIBRA – 3rd house topics, to include: writing, short-term study, neighborhood, local events, coffee houses, spoken words, daily commute
- SCORPIO – 2nd house topics, to include: finances, income, self-value, self-nourishment, food, clothes, material representation
- SAGITTARIUS – 1st house topics, to include: good luck in personal endeavors, good health, your authentic self, your psychology, personality reboot, reconnecting with who you are
- CAPRICORN – 12th house topics, to include: alone time, secret projects, self study, volunteer work, rest, relaxation, planting intentions
- AQUARIUS – 11th house topics, to include: friends, community, connection to many, large groups, professional organizations, activism
- PISCES – 10th house topics, to include: professional development, responsibilities, achievements, public image, social standing
Use the timeline below to map out Sagittarius season, from Nov 22nd to Dec 21st. All times are listed in Eastern Time.
Nov 22nd at 4:01 AM, the Sun enters Sagittarius
- Less than 24 hours after the Sun’s entrance into Sagittarius, a full moon becomes exact on November 23rd at 12:39 AM. There can be tensions that arise under the full moon, but often tension is related to meaningful acknowledgements of important insights. Think of a swift arrow shot across a long distance, hitting its target. Tension is required in order to make the landing, but beware of misunderstandings or uncertainties that come up before the message lands. With Mercury retrograde, there is a tendency to skew our perceptions of what is/isn’t.
- The Sun will be nearing conjunctions with both Jupiter and Mercury at the time of the full moon, drawing their energies into the charge of this particular lunation. It’s likely that messages will be flying all around us, lots of activity and thoughts to consider. It will be overwhelming. The best medicine of Jupiter is to trust inner sight. Especially since Mercury will be retrograde, there is an emphasis on bringing mental focus to Sagittarian virtues – trust and faith. If you have already begun to work this muscle, consider this full moon a rich opportunity to dig deeper. You may find that you have more abilities of sight than you might have originally perceived.
Nov 24th at 8:08 PM, Neptune turns direct
- Neptune transits are extremely long. Taking nearly 165 years to orbit around the Sun, Neptune often spends around 14 years going through a particular sign. Currently, Neptune isn’t even through the first half of Pisces yet. This can make Neptune’s effects extremely subtle and difficult to understand as they are happening. Notably, on days like these where Neptune stations direct or retrograde, we have a brief opportunity to feel some of its work coming through. It’s as if the planet is building up a lot of energy and suddenly makes a grand shift in its motion. Of course, this is only from our perspective on earth.
- When Neptune turns direct, there is a desire for re-connection to the ethereal higher consciousness. Through this desire we can sometimes gain awareness around escapist tendencies, spiritual openings, and portals of heightened connection to spirit. This is a good day to meditate and let thoughts come and go. This isn’t the best day for detailed physical work like accounting or research – you may also find a general disinterest in these particular topics anyways.
- If you don’t have a meditation practice already, but would like to start one, November 24th will be a good day to begin.
Nov 26th at 1:33 AM, the Sun conjoins Jupiter
- On days when the Sun is cazimi or exactly conjoined a planet, there is a lot of potential. Think of enriched soil in which a planted seed will surely grow. Because the solar conjunction is with Jupiter in Sagittarius, intentions are best set for the topics related to Sagittarius in your natal chart (see above list for reference) as well as developing stronger connection to Spirit.
- At 3:05 AM on the same day, Mercury in Sagittarius squares Mars in Pisces. Mercury-Mars squares can invoke angry words and harsh tones in the way we communicate. With Mercury in retrograde motion, cutting words may come up around topics that have needed review… perhaps we find that we do not have the right words, that listening to the other side is hard or painful. Despite the challenges that will likely arise, it is possible to find solutions with this particular placement. If you feel strongly in the moment, you probably need to work out a solution. Because this involves two highly intuitive and spiritual signs, expect topics related to faith, belief systems, and philosophy to come up. Know that there is not just one right way of doing things, and try to open your mind long enough to make peace with the differences.
Nov 27th at 4:14 AM, Mercury conjoins the Sun
- Following Jupiter’s conjunction with the Sun, we get Mercury’s conjunction with the Sun and then its (Mercury’s) conjunction with Jupiter. This marks two days of rich mental potential. Mercury’s conjunction with the Sun marks a new Mercury cycle, in which the planet of communication, intelligence, and perspective is born anew. This is a quiet time of reflection and pondering. The insights and messages that come through, possibly related to articulating beliefs and Jupiter messages, will be carried with us until Mercury’s next retrograde.
- Throughout the first part of the day, the Moon in Leo trines Jupiter (10:41 AM), Mercury (11:22 AM), and Sun (12:38 PM), sending felt messages through our physical experiences in order to better understand the messages that are coming through. For those with heightened intuitive abilities, consider this day one in which the veil is lifted.
- As night falls, at 4:30 pm on the same day, Mars in Pisces sextiles Saturn in Capricorn. In some ways this can distract us from the messages that are coming through, but in other ways it is a happy departure from the practicality of the earth plane for a moment. Mars spent so much of 2018 in the Saturn-ruled signs, asking us to work-work-work for a better tomorrow. As Mars sextiles Saturn, we have an easy time saying goodbye to the exhaustion of over-work. Perhaps we even take a moment to reflect, to consider how we can help ourselves the next time we are asked to get back into the fold.
- At 5:27 PM, Mercury conjoins Jupiter exactly. There may be a sense of overwhelm—too much at once, but it depends on how you approach it. Trust divine timing and let the loudest message be the one you hear.
Nov 29th at 7:18 PM, the Last Quarter Moon in Virgo is exact
- Every last quarter moon indicates a time to let things go. This is the last opportunity to finalize or finish what was started at the corresponding new moon, and can sometimes require complete abandonment of unnecessary components.
- Specifically, this last quarter moon is in a T-square with Mars in Pisces, as well as a trine with Saturn. There is a sense that patience is thin, but if you give yourself the time, you will be able to accomplish what you set out to do. The important takeaway is to move through overwhelm by taking it one step at a time.
Nov 30th at 9:13 PM, Venus in Libra opposes Uranus in Aries
- This has been an ongoing pattern since September. The opposition first occurred on the Taurus-Scorpio axis, bringing shock value to the way we approach self-care, care of others, and resources. It’s likely there was some challenge that came up that caused you to break away from a bond in order to reclaim a sense of individuality or freedom. Perhaps this was a heavy bond that held you back, or maybe it was a simple change in routine that made your day easier.
- In the Aries-Libra axis, as the third and final opposition, there is a new tone that comes through the opposition. Uranus in Aries serves the self and personal expansion. Venus in Libra serves justice and social inclusion. In opposition, they force us to consider how our personal evolutions can elevate justice and inclusion in the world. Are you fighting against a cause for the sake of rebellion? Or are you fighting for something that will lead to peace and harmony? Are the decisions you’ve made up to this point of any value to anyone other than yourself? Are you ok with the answer to the earlier question?
Dec 1st at 6:11 AM, Mercury regresses into Scorpio
- We are nearing the tail end of Mercury’s retrograde. For the majority of Mercury’s time in Scorpio, it is nearly still. There is an eerie sense that something may be creeping in the dark. Perhaps we discover the root of our belief systems, the inner void that we’ve been trying to fill with bright optimism and joy. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing to discover, rather it is a strength we all have inside of us – the ability to be infinite and naturally eternal. The pheonix rises from the ashes of its previous death. Mercury, in its final days of retrograde, asks us to consider the ashes we left behind and to prepare for new beginnings.
Dec 2nd at 12:01 PM, Venus re-enters Scorpio
- Isn’t it interesting that two planets that have been retrograde are now coming back to Scorpio? Scorpio is often related to the darkest depths, the ooey gooey underside, upside down world that lies within the brightness of reality. I’m reminded of the metamorphosis of a butterfly – the process of going inward, and then shedding the chrysalis. Also, how can I forget the snake who grows larger and finds that the skin it has is no longer comfortable, and so it breaks away. And even our human selves – the top layer of our skin sheds off of us quietly every day until seven years later we have entirely new skin. I guess what I’m getting at is that the superficial layer of discomfort that comes with depth-work is completely worth it in order to grow.
- Venus’ entrance into Scorpio brings us back to where we began in V’s cycle a few months ago. At this point, things should feel dramatically different even though they probably look exactly the same. There is something encouraging about this part of Venus’s cycle – a sense that even in the darkest time of the year, we are able to learn and grown and expand.
- Venus’ time through Scorpio is only a month-long and is best used for mending any breakages or finalizing separations of serious commitments, doubling-down on exploration of the unspoken dynamics between you and others, and finding beauty in your depths.
- Later on the same day, at 7:34 PM, the Sun squares Mars. This square asks us to defend ourselves, to be courageous for our beliefs and ideals. Considering Venus is in a traditionally Mars-ruled sign, we are given a bit of a push towards active self-betterment (which often start with self-love).
Dec 5th at 4:53 PM, the Moon conjoins Mercury in Scorpio
- On the same day at 5:21 PM, the Sun in Sagittarius squares Neptune in Pisces.
- There is a distinct fog that rolls over the 5th of December. With the Moon’s conjunction to a very slow-moving Mercury, and the Sun’s square to hazy Neptune, we are guaranteed a day of fuzziness. In many ways this can be frustrating; but take the opportunity to let yourself drift. Try to avoid doing anything too technical, and find some joy in the divine flow.
Dec 6th at 4:22 PM, Mercury turns direct
- On the exact day and time of direct motion, there is still a lot of retrograde-type energy that is being released. After a couple days, you can get back into Mercury-related tasks such as computer work, accounting, and editing.
- It’s possible that an important message or previously hidden detail is revealed at this time. Give yourself a couple days to respond and work with what has come through. In time, it’ll become much easier to handle all of the details.
Dec 7th at 2:20 AM, a New Moon in Sagittarius is exact
- This new moon promises a renewed sense of optimism and hope. It’s likely that we feel lighter as a result of Mercury’s recent direct motion, and the new moon emphasizes this for us. This is an opportunity to begin new rituals or practices that you’d like to work with over the next 6 months. With Jupiter in Sagittarius, there is an added touch of possibility – that what you start during this new moon will bring you good fortune in the area of life that Sagittarius is involved in (refer to list above).
- On the same day at 9:11 AM, Mars conjoins Neptune in Pisces. This is a potentially dangerous energetic as we may aggressively try to relax or escape from harsh realities. It’s possible that we find ourselves drinking too much or doing so much that we hurt ourselves. In kind with the new moon occurring earlier in the morning, it is best set intentions, to go inward, to relax. This is a wonderful time for for acts of service or generosity, opening to the beyond, and cutting away trauma to clear a space for healing and connection.
Dec 12th at 6:42 PM, Mercury enters Sagittarius
- Mercury’s re-entrance into Sagittarius gives us an extra boost. There can be a feeling that we are back on the saddle; starting to rev up the engines. As Mercury gets faster and faster, we become more extraverted and have a desire to share what we’ve learned. This is a great time for parties, connecting with friends, connecting with like-minds, exploring and learning how our recent seedlings (intention-setting) will work.
Dec 15th at 6:49 AM, the First Quarter Moon in Pisces is exact
- This first quarter moon activates our sense of awareness around the recent seedlings we’ve planted with the Mercury direct and the earlier new moon. For many of us, there will be recognition that optimism and faith are intertwined with our connection to source. We’ll see an opportunity to feel the blessings come through, to see the universe meet us halfway, and to really awaken the soul to the cosmic everything. We are also given space to release old wounds or old beliefs in order to light our souls on fire and to step into the light of consciousness. There is an innate vulnerability in this space, but it is worthwhile. Having trust will get you there.
Dec 16th at 9:26 AM, Venus in Scorpio sextiles Saturn in Capricorn.
- There is something very sobering about reality, which can be really useful when we are working so deeply with Spirit. Getting insight into our intuitions can get us lost in our own perceptions. This Venus-Saturn contact can help us find a sense of groundedness and re-connect.
- Imagine gently building something beautiful, yet meaningful. There is a lot of intention in this aspect; an opportunity to invest in form and function, and with Scorpio in the mix, we want it to be deeply impressive. Potential topics that may come up are investments, finances, businesses, contracts, and loans. If you want to make something happen in these areas, there is a window of opportunity here. It isn’t going to jump out at you though; you’ll have to work for it.
- This is a good day to purchase holiday gifts as you will find items that are both practical and beautiful.
Dec 17th at 1:57 AM, Mars in Pisces sextiles Pluto in Capricorn.
- The Mars-Pluto sextile may be related to the Venus-Saturn sextile. Because Venus is in a Mars ruled sign, there is potential that what happened on Dec 16th is acted upon on Dec 17th. Often with Mars-Pluto contacts there is a strong desire to do whatever has to be done in order to get what you want. Inevitably, when we rush ourselves we get hurt. It is important to respect the process of attainment and to have patience for life to unfold. That being said, this could also provide the boost you need to get where you are going. The key is to know the difference between impatience/ego and opportunity.
Dec 20th at 11:21 AM, the Sun in Sagittarius trines Uranus in Aries
- The Sun’s trine to Uranus brightens us and rewards those who have worked hard to open themselves to the shock of who they are. With all the technology we have to look at ourselves more closely, many of us have become disturbed by our natural vanity. For those of us who have taken the opportunities to grow from these moments, we’ll find a happy day of harmony and blessed synchronicity around what ignites us and draws us closer to our communities.
Dec 21st at 12:11 PM, Venus in Scorpio trines Neptune in Pisces
- Venus-Neptune gives us the gift of an open-heart and a willingness to forgive those who may have wronged us. As transiting aspect in our day, we may find that we feel particularly open to experiencing the company of others. It’s a good day to forgive and forget, to spend time with ones we love, and to enjoy adventuring through the new perspectives of friends and strangers.
- On the same day at 12:36 PM, Mercury conjoins Jupiter in Sagittarius. This reminds of the last time Mercury conjoined Sag, nearly a month earlier. We may have a renewed sense of joy come through – an excited buzziness to get out and explore what wonders exist around us.
- This could be an awesome day for a party or social gathering, for going to the movies, and for any creative activity.