Note: In our solar system, the Sun is the central point around which the planets orbit. From the Earth perspective, we cannot survive without sunlight; it is the light that nourishes our bodies, and the spotlight under which we act out our entire lives. Given the Sun’s importance, we’ve learned to articulate time around its trends. The Spring Equinox, Summer Solstice, Fall Equinox, and Winter Solstice all relate back to the felt shifts of shining brilliance the Sun shares with us in this lonely universe. And so it is from Earth’s perspective that I write these astrological forecasts in time with the Sun’s journey through the tropical zodiac.
Aquarius is the fixed air sign of the zodiac. It is often perceived as the brainy weird kid of the twelve signs, reflecting deeply about humanitarian issues, and sparking revolutionary actions. It has two rulers – Saturn and Uranus. Saturn shows us Aquarius the Architect – the water-bearer’s ability to plan for and build out new and better structures. Uranus gives us a taste of Aquarius the Eccentric – the future-minded oddball who values informed thought and innovative systems over fitting in and normalcy. In blending the signification of Aquarius’ co-rulers, we find the core attitude to be separation in the name of betterment. And so you might see this in people who have strong Aquarian signatures – people who tend to meaningfully create space between them and everyone else in order to better understand and improve.
During 2019’s Aquarius season, however, there is an added element of heat and friction. To start us off, the Lunar Eclipse in Leo in the late night of January 20th is the main event amidst two tense squares and a grand fire trine. Right away we are thrown into the fire, asked to activate our passionate natures, to open ourselves to our internal spark. The rest of the season is marked by aspects with several planets in fire signs, grounded by Saturn’s movement through cool, earthy Capricorn. It seems that once the eclipse has passed, we will finally be granted the opportunity to really put our new year’s resolutions into motion.
Overall, this Aquarius season offers us a lot of active energy to use as we begin or continue our developments and projects. It seems that we can get pretty far this season, and then when Pisces season comes along we can perhaps rest a bit and see how far we’ve come.
Find your rising sign below, and discover what area of life will be activated by the Sun’s movement through Aquarius. Once you’ve learned the area of life that is involved, continue to scroll down to the Timeline portion and learn what dates and times will be activated as the Sun traverses through the zodiacal sign Aquarius.
ARIES – 11th house topics, to include:
- Professional Organizations
TAURUS – 10th house topics, to include:
- Career motivations
- Long-term goals
- Public opinion
- Social expectations
GEMINI – 9th house topics, to include:
- Long distance travel
- Occult studies
- Astrological pursuits
- Sharing experience
CANCER – 8th house topics, to include:
- Collaborative projects
- Debts and loans
- Dark or existential thoughts
LEO – 7th house topics, to include:
- Social involvement
- Long term romantic entanglements
VIRGO – 6th house topics, to include:
- Medical issues
- Preventative care
LIBRA – 5th house topics, to include:
- Creative pursuits
- Romantic engagements
- Food and drink
- Pleasure-seeking activities
SCORPIO – 4th house topics, to include:
- Home life
- Family responsibilities
SAGITTARIUS – 3rd house topics, to include:
- Daily transit
- Sharing ideas
- Ritual or religious activities
CAPRICORN – 2nd house topics, to include:
- Money and finances
- Material items
- Shopping, eating, resting
AQUARIUS – 1st house topics, to include:
- Personal health
- Self image
- Life review
PISCES – 12th house topics, to include:
- Solo pursuits
*all times are listed in Eastern Time.
The Sun enters Aquarius on January 20th at 3:59 am.
- Throughout the 20th, the moon moves through Cancer, opposing Pluto, Mercury, and eventually conjuncting the nodal axis. As it builds light and approaches fullness, we are given a new perspective on the insights that have developed since the partial solar eclipse on January 5th. (read more)
- The same day, at 11:15 pm, Venus in Sagittarius squares Neptune in Pisces. This planetary combination (planet of desire & planet of fantasy) calls illusions forward. With the tension of the square pattern, we are asked to problem solve – to cut away the unnecessary – to prioritize. In this case, we need to untangle our desires from our illusions. Sometimes the idea or image of a reality is more appealing than the reality itself. We all have these moments where we want the picture-perfect without realizing how it actually feels to live in that image. It is important now to open your heart and mind to a desired sensation – what do I want to feel VS what do I want to look like.
Early on January 21st at 12:16 am, the Total Lunar Eclipse in Leo is exact.
- Following the moon’s near full-ness in Cancer, the Earth’s body blocks light from the Sun, casting a dark reddened shadow over the moon. The Sun at 0 degrees of Aquarius and the moon at 0 degrees of Leo, are impeded from seeing each other while the Earth stands between them. The pattern of eclipses in Leo and Aquarius have been ongoing since 2017, asking us to release excess focus on group-think for better more loving forms of self-expression. This Total Lunar Eclipse in Leo marks the end of this cycle, awakening us to the full potential of our refreshed Leonine expression. More love, more creativity, more pride in self.
- Considering the Venus-Neptune square an hour earlier, there is an element of reckoning in this eclipse. That process of cutting away illusion for actual felt experience is very involved in the lesson of this Leo eclipse. It is as if we can finally feel the work of being authentic, of sharing our eccentricities and unique gifts – we can finally open our hearts to the full bloom of our personal offerings to the collective. And as a result, confidence and enthusiasm swell.
- Another point to consider is the Mars-Saturn square which occurs at 6:47 am the same day. Mars in Aries squares Saturn in Capricorn. Our two most challenging planets are at odds in this aspect, bringing up a lot of frustration. The desire to take on everything and move as fast as possible VS the wisdom of slow and steady wins the race. This is a call-back to the conjunction between Mars and Saturn in early 2018. Back then we were dealing with the question, “how can I strategically use my energy?“ We all faced challenges around productivity, many of us saturated with too much work or too many goals. Hopefully you took the medicine of the lesson, and found ways to appropriately pace yourself. This square-pattern now offers a test. How far have you come, are you appropriately using your resources? Is a course correction needed?
- Finally, at around 9 pm, there is a Grand Fire Trine between Mars in Aries, the Moon in Leo, and Jupiter and Venus in Sagittarius. Typically, the grand fire trine gives us a big boost of energy towards passion and creativity. However, with the Leo Moon in the distorted space of the North Node, there seems to be extra attention on the Leo element of this trine, like an arrow pointing at the Leo placement in the chart.
- All together now: This eclipse wakes us up to the whole point of the eclipse pattern – like the epic climax of the hero’s journey, in which the hero faces the final obstacle. It was never about the obstacle or what others expected of the hero, but rather the hero’s will and personal sense of direction. It was always about the hero’s growth and development as a person, about maturing and coming into a stronger better self after many trials with personal demons. And so we are faced with the tension of prioritization, of decision making, of understanding the value of who we are and why we are here and how we can offer ourselves more freely and honestly in light of a better tomorrow.
- In a mundane sense, eclipse days are better spent in observation, though it appears this one might be calling us to action! If that is the case for you, my advice is to act on your best and highest good without ego, without judgment, and with lots of compassion.
January 22nd at 7:25 am, Venus conjuncts Jupiter in Sagittarius.
- Following the epic eclipse in Leo, our two most beneficial planets conjoin in Jupiter’s domicile. This gives us an optimistic day for love and luck! On a mundane level, this is a great day for social engagements and group gatherings.
- In another perspective, this conjunction can open us to the many potentials of what love is and how we can relate to it from a more philosophical tone. There is also possibility for meeting loved ones in the dream world, finding love in the astral realm.
January 23rd at 6:13 am, Mercury in Capricorn squares Uranus in Aries.
- Mercury-Uranus offers significant truth downloads. Sudden awareness or enlightenment can occur. With the Capricorn-Aries mash up, this relates to the earlier Mars-Saturn square on the 21st. Something new becomes evident to us – a missing piece in the puzzle of balance. Or possibly the recognition that we made a mistake and it is time to address it.
January 24th at 12:49 am, Mercury enters Aquarius.
- Mercury in Aquarius is very systematic, organizing for the sake of improvement. There is a touch of engineering here, but only in a theoretical sense (unless Aquarius is marks one of the houses below the horizon line, in which case engineering is more spontaneous and occurs in a tone of response). Discussion tends toward the logical and rational. Problem solving can be a lot of fun with this placement.
- Of note, Mercury is moving at a quickened pace, adding some extra oomph to the mental processes. It’s possible that discussions, meetings, writing, and communications go on much longer as a result of Hermes’ fast-paced flitting to and fro.
January 25th at 12:53 pm, Mars in Aries trines Jupiter in Sagittarius.
- Reminding us of the earlier grand fire trine as well as the Leo eclipse, we get a boost from Mars and Jupiter to act out some of our intentions. Jupiter’s philosophies and ideas are given embodiment with Mars’ action-oriented nature. If we’ve been meaning to do something, today’s energies may feel like the right time for it.
- This trine also speaks to Mars’ earlier conjunction with Jupiter in January 2018, and their larger cycle overall. Back then, you might have made a resolution to accomplish something – set goals or intentions for longer term growth. In November 2018, Mars squared Jupiter, forcing us to see how far we’d come with those intentions. At present, with the trine aspect, there is some ease in the effort of continued growth and goal reaching, however it can be squandered due to the lack of tension that tends to force us into action. If there is something that you’ve been working on over these past twelve months, consider today a good opportunity to review and reorganize in an effort to make those intentions a reality. It will be easier now than it will be this May.
January 27th at 4:10 pm the Last Quarter Moon in Scorpio is exact.
- This lunation marks the falling action following the epic nature of the Lunar Eclipse in Leo. Because the moon is waning and losing light, energies will be depleted and reflection/introspection will take center stage. In Scorpio, la luna craves these depths, and so we are given a special lens for inward thought.
- It is possible that this lunation also brings a sense of crisis-awareness to the shifts that have been occurring during eclipse season. Such awareness is key in the process of fully integrating and normalizing the changes that have occurred up to this point.
January 29th at 9:51 pm, Mercury conjuncts the Sun in Aquarius.
- This is the moment of Mercury’s superior conjunction with the Sun, giving us a sense of awareness around the mental pursuits we’ve taken on since the last Mercury retrograde. We are now moving towards an upcoming Mercury retrograde in Pisces, and will need to start finishing up what was started earlier in this cycle.
January 31st at 9:14 am, Saturn in Capricorn sextiles Neptune in Pisces.
- Boundary building Saturn and foggy Neptune don’t really make the best pair, but when they are joined together in a sextile aspect, they offer helpful rays to each other. Sextiles aren’t as powerful as trines, but they can offer us pleasant energy between two planets. Saturn and Neptune in this configuration can help us feel safe in the drift – a sense of still faith within. As we begin turning inward as the moon and Mercury are suggesting, Saturn-Neptune can also offer us safe path towards internal processing.
February 1st at 10:19 pm, Mars in Aries squares Pluto in Capricorn.
- Similar to the Mars-Saturn square on the day of the Lunar Eclipse in Leo, this square pattern between Mars and Pluto asks us to recall how far we’ve come since their earlier conjunction in 2018. Mars-Pluto tends to give us a lot of energy activation towards living on the edge – desiring the experience of being alive no matter the cost. Pluto can also relate to power and control issues as a result of deep fear. Ultimately, with these two in cahoots, we’ll get an opportunity to experience the drama of our control/power issues – whether via internal conflict or external conflict depending on your personal chart placements.
- In line with the earlier eclipse, it seems that if you choose to step up and work with the toxic or dark energy that exists within you (as opposed to avoiding it), you’ll level up significantly in this life-game.
February 2nd at 6:41 pm, Venus in Sagittarius trines Uranus in Aries.
- In 2018 we experienced Venus opposite Uranus, which brought a lot of tension to the way we approach engaging with others as well as love. Now that both planets are in fire signs and making a trine aspect to each other, there is a sense of resolution and ease here. It is possible that the tension has only momentarily dissipated, but it is also possible that a genuine understanding is coming out of it.
- I can’t help but be reminded of BORNS’ Electric Love music video, which I’ve added here for those who don’t know it. Basically, the element of sudden rushing joy – the tingly happy sensation we get when something really wonderful happens. When Venus and Uranus come into contact in such a harmonious way it can relate to a shock of pleasure that we didn’t recognize before.
- This is a passing transit, so it is possible that the rush of energy that comes from it is only temporary unless there are placements and activations in your chart to suggest otherwise.
February 3rd 4:54 pm, Mercury in Aquarius sextiles Jupiter in Sagittarius. Then Venus enters Capricorn at 5:29 PM.
- Mercury-Jupiter can sometimes relate to information overload. Since the last Mercury retrograde was so influenced by the Mercury-Jupiter conjunction, this Mercury-Jupiter sextile is like a reminder from the past, but only if you want it. There is always the option to ignore the fruit of the moment, but in this instance, it seems wise to take some time and consider how things have grown and developed since late 2018. It can be so helpful to just look back for a moment as you continue onward.
- In kind, Venus in Capricorn elevates our value and beauty decisions based off of past structures. In Capricorn, the planet of desire wants high quality, stand-the-test-of-time materials and expressions of love. Think classic and sophisticated, a noticeable difference from Venus’ earlier trip through explorative ever-optimistic Sagittarius.
February 4th at 4:03 PM, the New Moon in Aquarius is exact.
- Take in a deep breathe of fresh air. We are finally out of eclipse season! This lunation is the time for intention-setting and manifestation as the new year finally begins after the refresh of the eclipses. (This also marks the Chinese New Year – Year of the Earth Pig!)
- Consider how things have developed up to this point in 2019, dive deeper into the forecasts for the year ahead, and give yourself the opportunity to make the plans (or review the plans that have been made). This moment will help ground any haphazard resolutions from January.
February 7th at 7:32 pm, Jupiter in Sagittarius sextiles the Sun in Aquarius. At 8:24 PM, Mercury in Aquarius sextiles Mars in Aries.
- Two planets in Aquarius are in a sextile with two planets in fire signs. This adds some heat to the Aquarian innovation, and gives us an opportunity to reach further, to make action, to create based off of what’s been going on in our minds. This is also opportune given the fact that the moon is in an extraverted phase now, gaining light and becoming available for manifesting.
February 9th at 5:53 pm, Mercury in Aquarius sextiles Uranus in Aries.
- Mercury-Uranus were just in a square earlier this season on January 23rd. If there were insights about changes that needed to occur, now is a great time to put those changes into motion!
- This is otherwise a fun day for mental pursuits, reading something different, and sharing unusual ideas.
February 10th at 5:50 pm, Mercury enters Pisces.
- Mercury’s entrance into Pisces is refreshing and balancing since we’ve been missing the water element this season. Like the rest of the water signs, Pisces is emotional, sensitive, nurturing, and passive. This element can offer us some much needed pause as we cool down the fiery motivations that have been burning us up. However, because Mercury is actually really out of place in this sign, this placement can be a tad frustrating in the long term.
- In fact, Mercury will eventually station retrograde in Pisces, extending it’s transit through much of April. That said, it is not yet time to prepare for the infamous chaos of Mercury retrograde. Instead, it is worthwhile to explore the difficult-to-define nature of Pisces through the definition-master Mercury. It may seem counterintuitive to make good out of this placement, but in reality it isn’t so bad. It definitely isn’t great for analyzing spreadsheets and numbers, but it is very helpful for creative writing and the arts.
- In addition to a boost in creativity, Mercury in Pisces, though not at its best, is still wonderful for its ability to comprehend emotions, to articulate what often seems beyond words, and to share goodwill with others. Consider Mercury’s transit through Pisces a long lesson in creative expression.
February 12th at 5:26 pm, the First Quarter Moon in Taurus is exact.
- As the moon gains light and transitions towards fullness, we are able to see the beginning stages of progress in any intentions set during the earlier new moon. At this point in the lunar cycle, we start prioritizing certain tasks or projects over others, placing more focus on what we’d like to reap at the full moon. In Taurus, the moon delights in sensual pleasures which adds a certain physical element to what is being manifested.
- I imagine the beginning stages of a pregnancy when the mother starts to show, or the moments leading up to dinner when the meal is actually being prepared. There is something very exciting about it that lights up all five senses.
February 13th at 1:20 am, Mars conjuncts Uranus in Aries
- This is a pretty big deal. Mars, the ruler of Aries, is joining together with Uranus who won’t be back in Aries for a very long time. It’s kind of like Mars’ final goodbye to this visitor in its home, and it seems that there would be something meaningful that comes out of it.
- Mars-Uranus is hot electricity, explosive, engaging, exciting, and unnerving. Because Uranus is always trying to shock us, we know that what comes of this conjunction will be from left field – totally not what we expect. Buttttt! We can narrow down the options a bit: if you know where Aries is in your chart, then you can identify the area of life that the shock will be coming from. Here’s a quick break down if you know your rising sign:
- Aries – 1st house; self || Taurus – 12th house; isolation, fears, enemies || Gemini – 11th house; community || Cancer – 10th house; career || Leo – 9th house; mind expansion || Virgo – 8th house; debts, loans, collabs || Libra – 7th house; partnerships || Scorpio – 6th house; chores, work, health || Sagittarius – 5th house; creativity, pleasure || Capricorn – 4th house; home, family || Aquarius – 3rd house; communication, routines || Pisces – 2nd house; finances, income.
February 14th at 5:51 am, Mars enters Taurus.
- Just in time for Valentine’s Day in the US, Mars enters sensual Taurus! This placement helps temper Mars’ impulse-action so there is more of a method to the way things are done. Over the next few weeks, slow and steady wins the race while Mars tours Taurus. If you’ve got a project that you’ve wanted to get done, now you’ll have the steady energy flow to do it.
February 17th at 3:44 am, Venus in Capricorn sextiles Neptune in Pisces.
- This aspect harks back to the Venus-Neptune square on January 20th at the time of the Leo eclipse. At that time there was a focus on the way things looked versus the way things felt. In this instance, we might find that the desired appearance is in harmony with the desired feeling. This is a good day for artistic endeavors; putting pen to paper; making something beautiful; feeling into what looks good.
Feb 18th at 2:54 am the Sun in Aquarius sextiles Uranus in Aries. At 5:51 AM, Venus in conjuncts Saturn in Capricorn.
- As the Sun moves through the last degree of Aquarius, the two co-rulers of the sign are activated leaving us with a final impression of the season. Sun-Uranus can inspire us to look at our sense of self in a new light. Venus-Saturn can be a little heavy, pessimistic, and over-critical. In unison, we might find that the thing we’ve been so critical of can be seen with new eyes – that it can be repurposed as a useful character trait rather than something that makes us a little sad about ourselves.